Carrot & walnut cupcakes
- 1 1/2 cups (165g) finely grated carrots
- 1 1/4 cup (160g) all purpose flour, spooned and leveled.
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ginger
- 1/2 cup (120ml) @rinavegetable oil
- 1/2 cup (100g) brown sugar
- 1/3 cup (70g) granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (120g) Greek yogurt/sour cream
1. Preheat the oven to 170C and line 2 cupcake tins with 12 paper liners.
2. Grate the carrots using the fine grate side of a box grater. Set aside.
3. In a bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and spices. Set aside.
4. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the @rinavegetable oil, brown sugar, sugar, eggs, and vanilla. Then whisk in the greek yoghurt followed by the carrots.
5. Pour in the dry ingredients and whisk to combine. Don’t over mix.
6. Distribute the batter evenly between the 12 liners, filling each about 3/4 full.
7. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
8. Allow the cakes to cool in the pan for 20 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely before frosting.
9. Once cooled, top each cupcake with cream cheese frosting . Sprinkle with finely chopped walnuts if desired.
Cream Cheese Frosting
* 1 Cup cream cheese, room temp
* 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temp
* 2 cups powdered sugar
* 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
1. Add the butter and cream cheese to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. You can also use a hand mixer.
2. Mix on medium to medium-high speed until completely smooth.
3. Mix in the powdered sugar 1 cup at a time, scraping down the sides and bottom of the bowl.
4. After the 2nd cup, scrape down the bowl again and mix in the vanilla extract until smooth.
5. If the frosting is too thin, place the bowl in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes to thicken. Otherwise, it’s ready to pipe or spread!