- 3 lb beef shank , cut into pieces
- 2 onions , grated
- 1 lb tomatoes , peeled, seeded and diced
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 4 cloves garlic , finely chopped
- 1 green bell pepper , cut into strips
- 10 oz. alefu (amaranth leaves) , or spinach
- 3 red chili peppers
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh ginger
- ½ teaspoon coriander seeds , freshly ground
- ½ teaspoon ground cardamom
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds , freshly ground
- ½ teaspoon black pepper , freshly ground
- ½ teaspoon ground anise
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 cup beef broth
Heat the oil in a deep pan.
Sprinkle the meat lightly with salt.
Sprinkle with cardamom, anise, pepper, and sugar.
Brown the pieces of beef for 5 minutes, stirring frequently until golden brown.
Remove from the pan and set aside in a covered bowl.
In the same pan, add the garlic and onions, add a little oil if necessary and fry until the onions begin to caramelize.
Add the tomatoes and bell pepper. Season with salt and pepper and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes.
Add all the remaining spices, meat and beef broth.
Mix well and simmer over medium heat for 2 hours, stirring gently from time to time.
If the sauce gets too thick, add a little water.
Meanwhile, remove the stems from the spinach leaves, chop them coarsely and place in a pan with 2 tablespoons of salted water.
Cover the pan and steam the spinach for about 3 minutes after reaching boiling point.
Add the spinach to the meat with their cooking water.
Stir and simmer over medium heat covered for another 10 minutes.
Serve with plantain, fufu and/or steamed rice.