* 2 1/2 TSP active yeast
* 3 cups bread flour
* 5 TBSP granulated sugar
* 2 TBSP turbinado/ brown sugar
* Milk, slightly warm- 140ml
* 2 1/2 TBSP of butter
* 1 TSP salt * 1 egg (room temperature) * Parchment paper and baking tray
* Melt the butter preferably in a microwave.
* Slightly warm up the milk. Add a teaspoon of granulated sugar and stir to dissolve, then sprinkle over yeast and let sit until frothy for about 8 minutes.
* In a medium bowl, whisk together flour and salt. In a large bowl, whisk together remaining granulated sugar, butter and egg.
* Pour in yeast mixture and mix to combine then add in dry ingredients, stirring with a wooden spoon until a dough forms. Transfer to a lightly floured surface and knead for about 5 minutes, if dough is too sticky add more flour a teaspoon at a time. * Form into a tight ball then place dough in a lightly oiled bowl, brush the top of the dough with a bit of oil and cover with plastic wrap. Let dough rise in a warm spot in your kitchen until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
* Punch down dough to release trapped air then turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 1 minute.
* This next part will depend on how large you want your braids to be. Collect 3 same sized portions from the dough. Using your hand, roll each out into long logs and set them up on the counter side by side.
* Connect and braid the three pieces together then pinch together the end pieces and tuck them under. Carefully place the loaf on the parchment paper lined baking sheet.
* Brush with egg wash and loosely cover with plastic wrap (you don’t have to tighten the plastic as your dough will need room to rise) set aside for 30min.
* While the loaf is sitting, preheat the oven to 150C for about 10 minutes.
* Remove plastic and brush again with egg wash then sprinkle with turbinado/ brown sugar.
* Bake for 20minutes or until the braids turn slightly brown.